The general consensus seems to be that women always spend lots of time on their hair while men can pretty much just “wash and go.” But all hair — even men’s hair — requires at least some attention to look its best. In this article, you’ll find helpful tips for great-looking hair.
1. A common mistake made by men with dry or coarse hair is washing it too often. If you have that hair type, wash only once or twice a week, and always use conditioner.
2. If you have greasy hair, the first tip is to avoid using really hot water. But something else that exacerbates your problem is too much handling. Don’t scrub and rub your hair a lot—it just further activates oil glands that are already overactive.
3. If you like to use hair wax but find it difficult to remove from your hair, try applying shampoo to dry hair—then wet, lather and rinse. Always shampoo twice when you do this.
4. Many hair products can build up on both your hair and scalp. Try washing your hair once a month with a very small amount of dishwashing liquid. Apply twice, and let the second application sit for a minute or two. Rinse thoroughly, pour apple cider vinegar over your hair to restore the Ph balance, then rinse again to get the vinegar out.
5. We’ve all seen the images of men giving their heads a vigorous towel drying—but that’s a really bad idea. Wet hair is weaker than dry, and being overzealous with the towel causes hair to break. Instead of rubbing, pat your freshly washed hair with a clean towel.
6. Any regular swimmer knows that chlorine is bad for your hair. It causes the cuticle—the hair’s protective outer layer—to lift, which makes hair dry, brittle and dull. To minimize its effects, wet your hair thoroughly with clean water before diving into the pool. You can also try applying a little conditioner to your hair before your swim.
7. Men who blow dry might only be thinking that the hotter the dryer, the faster they’ll be done with the hair chore. But though it can be tempting to ramp up the heat just to be finished, whenever possible you should allow hair to air dry. If that’s not possible, at the very least, lower the heat setting on your blow dryer. Too much heat causes frizziness and damages hair.
8. One of the biggest mistakes men make when it comes to hair styling is using too much product. A little can go a long way—especially with quality products—and sparing use gives a more natural look instead of the greasy look.
9. Even if you’re really hot-natured, skip the cold showers. Cold water constricts the blood capillaries in the scalp that carry nutrients to the hair and pick up waste products from the skin’s surface.
If you’re looking for a professional haircut and more tips from our knowledgeable barbers about how to keep your hair looking its best, stop in or schedule an appoint today at Cut Rate Barber Shop, 9115 Center Street, Manassas, Va, 20110. Or call us at 571-359-6200.